BIOL183 ICD-10 Anatomy & Physiology (Experimental)
Department of Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics: Biology
- I. Course Number and Title
- BIOL183 ICD-10 Anatomy & Physiology (Experimental)
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Minimum Number of Instructional Minutes Per Semester
- IV. Prerequisites
- Permission of the Department
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This course is designed to meet the needs of medical coding professionals for the increased specificity associated with ICD-10. Advance anatomy and physiology is required to understand the upgraded coding requirements and apply it to common medical diseases, disorders, injuries, and conditions.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
understand and apply medical and anatomical terminology;
- Course Students will:
- identify clinically significant anatomical structures, organs, organ systems;
- understand the relationships between functionally united anatomical structures;
- understand clinically significant physiological processes;
- identify and understand the diseases, disorders, injuries, and conditions of various body systems;
- apply the history, signs, symptoms, imaging, exam findings, treatments, and prognoses of various diseases, disorders, injuries, and conditions of the human body
- Core (if applicable)This course is not included in the Core.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities:
- blood and blood forming organs
- endocrine system
- nervous system
- eye and adnexa
- ear and mastoid process
- circulatory system
- respiratory system
- digestive system
- integumentary system (skin)
- musculoskeletal system
- genitourinary system
Assessment Methods for Core Learning Goals:
- Course The assessment of course learning goals will be based on online discussions, objective examinations, assignments, papers, and/or performance-based tasks and projects.
- Core (if applicable) This course is not included in the Core.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Students:
- Textbook (currently Advanced Anatomy & Physiology for ICD-10-CM/PCS by Contexo media)
- Virtual laboratory software Anatomy & Physiology Revealed 3.0 (virtual cadaver dissection)
- Learning Management System
- Notes, reading assignments, animations, lecture videos and tutorials, laboratory images, and powerpoint presentations for self study will be provided.
- VIII. Teaching Methods Employed
- Section VIII is not being used for new and revised syllabi as of 12/10/08.
Revision / Approval Date: First Offered 11/2011