American English as a Second Language
Summer III 2018
Students are permitted to meet with an AESL tutor for one 30-minute appointment per day. Second appointments may be available with a writing tutor and must be scheduled by using the Tutoring Appointment Request link, calling 215-968-8044, or stopping into the Newtown Center in L210. Please click on the links below to schedule or request an individual or Conversation Group appointment.
You can call 215-968-8044 to request an appointment or for additional information.
Please click on the Schedule Appointment link to check specific hours.
Please note: The semester schedule is subject to change. Click on Schedule Appointment and sign into TutorTrac™ for the most up-to-date schedule.
The AESL Tutor can help with any class involving writing, reading, or study skills, except for the TOEFL preparatory class. If an AESL Tutor is not available, please make an appointment with a writing tutor for writing, reading, study skills, and AESL assistance.
What We Can Do
- Provide help for those students whose second language is English
- Help you with punctuation, grammar, idioms, vocabulary, verb tenses, sentence structure
- Help you to learn how to proofread your papers
- Help you to understand an assignment you've been given
- Help you to improve a rough draft you are working on
- Help you to revise or rewrite a paragraph or essay according to your instructor's suggestions
- Help you with reading comprehension
- Help you with vocabulary and pronunciation
- Help you with listening skills
- Help you use the available computer software for pronunciation, reading and listening comprehension, cultural norms, grammar skills, and vocabulary
What We Can't Do
- Proofread for you
- Be of much help if you come to the Center the day your assignment is due
- Guarantee that you will get good grades
- Tutor for placement or standardized tests, such as the TOEFL